Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Dress for Success?

Miss America contestant Yolande Betbeze in 1950, just chillin' in casual wear of the day.
So, we got some exciting news from the head admin here today.  The company president will be joining us from the Mothership tomorrow and the next day.  The frantic e-mail clearly stated not only that we must dress business casual, but ABSOLUTELY NO JEANS.

If you happen to reside on the East Coast, you may be saying "finally, you slacker California hippie!"  But us Californians have a knack for getting shit done while looking uber-casual.  Silicon Valley style, anyone?  Let's be frank, here:  California is birthplace of the modern blue jean.  Levi Strauss?  Anyone?  Not to mention that The Gap, skateboarding, mountain biking, and many other awesome and epic (and casual) things were invented or founded here.

But this is not something you say to the visiting company president.  To say we are casual around here is understating a bit.  Out in the corner of the building where I work, we are not part of legal, finance, or any other business-y department.  We are R&D and QA, and we get the job done in comfy clothes (the job sometimes requires hauling boxes of dusty old documents, or working with chemicals).  The average outfit around here is:  ratty jeans, crocs or beat up tennies, a polo shirt, and an old fleece pullover from a former company.  I figure I am making things a bit classier when I pair slightly nicer jeans with leather shoes (tennies only on Friday for me--self-imposed rule), a blouse that has buttons (tee-shirts only on Fridays--another self-imposed rule), and simple gold jewelry.  We all have our own ideas for what to wear when there is no requirement.

But is this a good thing?  I hope to talk in the future about how women (and people in general) have adapted to modern clothing requirements (seriously, only lawyers and financiers wear suits).  Some good discussions have come up recently.  I'll get back to Women in Clothes (it's on my read list), and Cheap Chic (the most awesome style book ever) in upcoming posts.

But back to the more pressing matter at hand.  In order to be seen as professional and successful, and to leave a good impression, and to be taken seriously, must your clothing and appearance be a factor in it?  I am a feminist and want to be taken seriously for my ideas over my appearance.  But of course, any interview I go to, I am definitely wearing black slacks, a nice shirt, and blazer, with some nice respectable shoes.  It's your first impression.

This is not me, but this is just about the look I go for at an interview.  Still more casual than the 1950's idea of casual wear.
I am a fashion person and I love clothes.  I always have to laugh at people who say "I don't pay attention to what I wear."  Just you knowing that you don't means you do.  Did I just blow your mind?  When you put on ratty jeans or ugly cargo shorts that haven't been trendy for fifteen years, and top with a shirt that has holes and not in a good way, you are sending a message to the world, like we all do when we get dressed.

And what about modern wear?  Were we better during the times of Mad Men, when everyone looked so chic and together, with not a hair out of place, perfectly applied makeup, a sweater, skirt, and heels, even on a chill day?  Watching a few old movies that seem to veer more towards the realistic side of dress, and seeing old family photos, shows me that people looked a bit less put together when being super casual.  But even camping meant:  penny loafers, khaki slacks, and a button down shirt.  Take that, Patagonia and North Face!

I don't know if the answer to the "what to wear?" conundrum is to return to more respectable forms of dress.  And I am a huge fan of blue jeans.  But I think if we each spent about two extra minutes each morning putting just a tiny bit of thought into our outfit, we might be projecting just that much better of an image to the world.  That's not bad, right?

Maybe if I had to dress nice every day, I would not be excited about the next two days.  But, since it's "special," I'm looking forward to wearing a dress or skirt, tights, and cute boots or shoes.  Vive la fashion!

No comments: