Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Stupid Easy: Simple Tabbouleh Salad


Oh hi!  I'm back for a little post.  Whatever, I do what I want.

Anyway, I went to a fancy grocery store in a fancy area on Sunday.  It's one of my favorite pastimes.  Sometimes you find very interesting new foods from interesting places.  Other times, you find overpriced stuff you can get for much cheaper elsewhere, or even make for a fraction of the price.

I was thinking of getting a deli salad.  I saw a small 8 ounce tub of tabbouleh.  I hadn't had a good tabbouleh in a long time.  My mom used to make it all the time when I was a kid--I don't know, it was the 80's.  It was a crazy time.

FIVE DOLLARS?!?  Five dollars for eight ounces!!!???

No thanks.

Thanks to us being in "the future," I got out my handy pocket computer (smart phone) and searched for a simple recipe for tabbouleh.  I mean, it can't be that expensive.  It's all parsley, right?  And it's super simple.  And, if you broke down the amount I paid for the ingredients and somehow applied a formula to my hourly wage at work, I'm not sure where the savings would be, but I didn't feel that $5 was a good price for a cup of grain salad.

So, here is what I put together.  You can find all these ingredients for fairly cheap at a regular grocery store.

1 c bulgur wheat (follow package directions to put 1 c of boiling water over 1 c of wheat and let sit)
1 English cucumber, chopped
1 bunch mint, chopped
2 bunches parsley, chopped (I used flat leaf, probably doesn't matter but I feel it's easier to chop)
1 pound tomatoes, chopped (get what looks good; I got some grape tomatoes)
1-2 lemons, juiced (I used Meyer lemons and needed more)
a few glugs olive oil (probably 1/2 cup; I don't measure this, just do what looks good)
salt and pepper to taste

You can also add:

scallions
garlic
granulated garlic
oregano (dried)
feta cheese or other protein

Mix it around and let it set so flavors meld.  Summer salad potluck, here we come!

No comments: