Monday, February 2, 2015

Decluttering: Blue Jean Baby

RIP the jeans tower
For those poor souls aka my friends who have had to move me to various apartments and locations throughout Fremont and Newark, this might seem like too little too late.  Not only do I have 8 instead of fifty coats (this will be in another post), but now I have a fraction of the jeans I had before.

"Um, you still have like fifteen pairs of jeans," you may be saying.  Or, as my husband put it, "You now have a normal human amount of jeans.  It's still too much, but at least it's not crazy-hoarder levels."

People in the know also may remember the above jeans tower.  Well, as of last night, it is no more.  I now have a normal enough amount of jeans to actually fit in my closet.  Imagine that!  This means easier to access outfits, and it means less crap in my room.  More space in our oddly designed master bedroom is always a good thing.

The only bad thing is that halving my jeans collection meant I thought I could get RICH by reselling these jeans to something like Crossroads Trading!  But no such luck.  They didn't want any of my Seven for all Mankind jeans I paid $$$ for.  They did, however, take one pair of random Levi's that I got at like Kohl's or something ten years ago.  Hm.  Lesson learned.  I could sell the rest on eBay or Etsy but I think I will take 'em to Thrift Town.  :-)  Sometimes a lighter house and car is worth more than money.

Oh, and what did I keep?  Vintage.  Levi's.  Classic designs.  No bells and whistles.  I still have several pairs of designer jeans (Paper Denim Cloth, James, Earnest Sewn...), which I got on sale at various places.  But they are just basic classic jeans.  I'm currently reading Cheap Chic, an awesome style guide published in the mid-70's.  Even back then, they said to avoid crazy pockets, zippers, pulls, and embellishments.  Guess what?  They NEVER age well.  So long, blingy Seven jeans with the bedazzled butt.  Might have been the look I was going for in 2007, but it is not exactly a la mode or classic.

Added bonus:  having all my clothes easy to access, in one location, and organized means picking an outfit is not only easy but fun, and quick.  Getting rid of "white noise" clothing has made the house so much more appealing to hang out in.  No longer working off the top of the wardrobe, and letting those wardrobe items I wasn't using, be enjoyed by someone else, is definitely a wonderful thing.

No comments: